Enjoy The Summer As A Plus Size Girl




It’s true what they say, your threshold for shame and negativity increases as you age. I believe it to be a good thing. As each year passes, I find myself more confident in my body, knowing what it can do for me, and how I can embrace and own it more as I evolve in my womanhood. The occasional fat jokes and body shaming seem to sting less and less as these words fade when I remind myself of who I am, what I can do, and what I have so far offered the world. I’m not saying my body love journey has been smooth sailing, all I’m saying is, it’s gotten a lot simpler, maybe even easier. Life is full of seasons, and as I near into my 30s, I can honestly say there’s a creeping sense of deeper self-awareness and confidence in me.



Speaking of seasons, I’m well-aware that summer is one of the most dreaded times for some of us girls. There’s just so much pressure to have the “summer bod” or the “beach ready body” that should perfectly sport a bikini. I used to torture my body with crash diets because of this annual weight (pun intended) we put on ourselves, but not anymore. Acknowledging the fact that my body is more than to be looked at helps me put things into perspective. It is an instrument, not an ornament (as stated by beautyredefined.org).

Here are some of my top personal principles when it comes to enjoying the summertime with your family and friends, and more importantly, yourself.

1. Move. Do an activity that sparks joy. It can be as simple as dancing in your undies in your bedroom for 15 minutes a day, or jogging with your bestie for cardio thrice a week, just make sure your workout regimen is sustainable and enjoyable for you. It doesn’t have to be rigid, at least not for me. What matters is you move with your body and acquaint yourself with its limitations and strengths, and progress from that.

2. Check on your internal dialogue. How do you talk to yourself? How do you address yourself when you stumble or make a mistake? You’re with you 24/7. How you speak to yourself matters, because your biggest critic is you, and that can either make you or break you. Have reminders ready for the occasional dark days. Mine would be:
  • You are loved.
  • You are enough.
  • You have the capacity to empower and give.


3. Look good for you. It’s 2019, women are now taking ownership of their beauty and presenting themselves powerfully through makeup and fashion. The idea that you have to look beautiful to snag a guy is so passé. Put on that red lipstick even if you’re just heading out for errands. Dress up and have dinner on a regular weeknight. It’s not about who sees you, it’s about how you feel about you. Look cute, girl! Do it for you.

4. Sunbathe with your bestie! Nothing beats getting some good ol’ vitamin D with your favorite person to raise those endorphin levels. Sunshine has natural powers to make those happy hormones spike, and there’s no better person to share the happy juju with than your bestie! Get those tanning oils and fix yourself a drink, it’s so relaxing and fun. Also, you know you take the best angles of each other, so ready those poolside poses!

(taken by my bestie, @imloubutt)

5. Invest in good summer clothes that you’re comfortable in. Don’t force it if you aren’t comfy, it’ll show. You want to be cool as a cucumber in this hot weather! Fortunately, more and more brands are now coming out with fashionable plus size clothes (locally, I’m so glad that SM Woman now carries plus size, being the biggest local brand to cater to curvy girls like me)! This Women’s Month, The SM Store is offering 10% discount for every P 3,000 worth of purchase on all  Wednesdays of March. Sounds exciting, yes? Look for styles that best suit and flatter your body shape to make sure you’re extra on fleek for the summer.

Remember, body love and confidence flows from the inside out. Own that body and enjoy living in it all year round!


—D

Share:

0 comments

Copyright © 2015 The Danah Soars. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates